Don't miss the benefits of attending Maryland's premiere conference for school system leaders:
- professional development for effective and efficient school system governance
- sharing of best practices and latest trends in education
- access to quality speakers and presenters
- networking among the 24 districts' board members and superintendents/CEOs
2016 Keynote Speakers
Dr. John Draper, Consultant, National School PublicRelations Association (NSPRA)
Back by popular demand after keynoting at MABE’s 2014 conference, John Draper has energized audiences of educators, school leaders and community members in over 40 states. His presentations are marked by thoughtful analysis, engaging narrative, and a refreshing passion for the mission of public schools. He makes research fun!
As the CEO of the Educational Research Service in Washington, DC, Draper spawned conversations among school leaders nationwide on engaging staff and communities in active support of our schools. He is now a nationwide consultant working with NSPRA to expand support for public schools.
Dr. Tuajuanda C. Jordan, President, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
Prior to St. Mary’s College, Jordan served as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of chemistry at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Ore., beginning in 2011. During her tenure at Lewis & Clark, Jordan helped recruit an exceptional and diverse faculty, launched a center for entrepreneurship, developed a campus-wide system to increase student persistence and graduation rates, and raised funds to enhance faculty development.
From 2005 to 2011, Jordan was the director of the Science Education Alliance (SEA) of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in Chevy Chase, MD. In 2008 and 2009, she was named a “revolutionary mind” by Seed magazine. In 2014, Jordan was honored by the National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Baltimore Metropolitan Chapter, with its Torchbearer Award, recognizing her contributions in education with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Jordan was tapped by The Daily Record as a 2015 Influential Marylander. In 2016, Purdue University named Jordan a Distinguished Woman Scholar.
Workshops to Date
- Crucial Conversations About America’s Public Schools
- Engaging the Student Voice
- Special Education Access: Collaboration on Behalf of Students
- BYOD and 1:1 Technology
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): A Primer for Board Members
- Bridging the Opportunity Gap: Howard County Elementary Schools Model
- CreaTE the Future with CTE: Transforming Technical & Vocational Programs
Friday Hot Topic Sessions (to date)
- Undocumented Students: What Are the Legal Issues?
- Getting on Board with Social Media
- Engaging the Parent Voice
- The Latest in School Law
- Conversation with MABE Leadership
- MABE Services: A United Approach to Providing for Members & School Systems
- Association Collaboration: MABE & PSSAM’s Common Ground
- Community Colleges Partnerships
- Public Schools Administration Diabetes Care Services Guidelines