This prestigous award was established in 2012 to honor the retiring executive director, Carl W. Smith. It may be presented every other year (alternating with the Maryland Association Boards of Education Distinguished Board Member Service Award) to an individual who has demonstrated exemplary leadership and service to excellence in public education in Maryland.
Current and former local board members are ineligible for this award. (These individuals may be nominated for the Distinguished School Board Service Award which is exclusively for current or former local board members.)
- An individual must be nominated by one board member (the primary nominator), with the support of two additional board members (see submission form).
- Current and former local board members are ineligible for this award. (These individuals may be nominated for the MABE Distinguished Board Service Award which is exclusively for current or former local board members.)
- Candidates from previous years may be re-nominated; previous recipients of the award are ineligible.
- Responses to award criteria that exceed 1000 words will not be considered by the committee.
- Nominations received after the deadline will not be considered.
To nominate a candidate:
Please submit your nomination to email@example.com no later than April 15, 2022.
Each nomination must consist of the following:
1: The award submission form. Only this form will state the nominee's name.
2: A separate page detailing, in 1,000 words or less, why this person is being nominated.
Nominee Criteria: Nominee will have demonstrated exemplary leadership and service to public education in Maryland. This service may have impacted a single district, multiple districts, or the entire state. Examples of potential recipients may include, but are not limited to:
- city, county, or state elected officials
- community college or university leaders
- volunteer organization leaders
- leaders from the non-profit or corporate world
Process: The MABE Awards Committee will review all nomination forms and make a decision no later than May 16, 2022. The recipient will be announced shortly after, and honored at the MABE Annual Conference in October 2022.