MABE has a team of trained search consultants available to work, on a fee-for-service basis, with individual boards searching for a new superintendent. A presentation on the search process is available by contacting MABE's Executive Director, Frances Hughes Glendening.
Maryland Superintendent License Information
There are two paths to certification to be a county superintendent established in COMAR- - Traditional Certification and Reciprocal Certification.
- Educational Requirements:
- Have a master’s degree from an IHE; and
- Have completed one of the following:
- An MSDE-approved program which leads to certification as a superintendent to include course work covering public school administration, supervision, and methods of teaching;
- A program offered by an IHE leading to certification as a superintendent in the state in which the institution is located to include course work covering public school administration, supervision, and methods of teaching; or
- 60 semester hours of graduate course work, including a minimum of 24 semester hours in education administration taken at an IHE, to include public school administration, supervision, and methods of teaching. Graduate course work earned to obtain the master’s degree may be applied toward the 60 required semester hours.
- Experience Requirements:
- 27 months of satisfactory teaching performance or satisfactory performance as a certified specialist as defined in COMAR 13A.12.03 in a PreK-12 setting; and
- 24 months of satisfactory administrative or supervisory experience in Prek-12 setting;
- A superintendent who enters Maryland from another state may obtain reciprocal certification if the individual;
- Holds a valid professional state certificate in a like or comparable area;
- Presents verification of at least 36 months of satisfactory performance as a superintendent during the past 7 years; and
- Presents verification of 2 years of graduate work at an IHE to include course work covering public school administration, supervision, methods of teaching.